Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

AFTERNOON SHADOWS

THIS LARGE OLD MAGNOLIA TREE MAKES A LARGE SHADOW ON THIS OLD MISSISSIPPI CEMETARY. THE SUN IS SETTING IN THE WEST OF COURSE AND YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE BACKS OF THE TOMBSTONES. IT IS A CUSTOM IN MOST CEMETARY'S IN THE SOUTH FOR THE GRAVES TO FACE EAST,BECAUSE IN THE BIBLE IT SAYS RISE AND FACE THE EAST. I HAVE SEEN NEWER CEMETARIES THAT FACE SOUTH , SO I GUESS THOSE PEOPLE WILL HAVE TO RISE AND TURN AROUND. IS THAT SACRILIGIOUS OF ME, I HOPE NOT. I AM JUST WONDERING.
I AM JOINING HTTP://WWW.HEYHARRIET FOR SHADOW SHOT SUNDAY.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Karen said...

I've heard that all my life too! But, love the picture!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Pretty shot!

My shadow shots

Unknown said...

What an interesting fact about cemeteries. I had never heard that.
Great picture of the east facing tombstones.
Thanks for sharing.
Traci

Hootin Anni said...

Fabulous....I love going through old cemeteries!! Your photo is superb.

A Seagull Shadow

I enjoyed my visit and viewing your entry for today's meme...do stop by if you have time, I'd love your company.

Donnie said...

That is a lovely photo of shadows. Have a wonderful day.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

The great thing about graveyards is that the inhabitants don't care if you take their picture or not!

SILLY SHADOW DITTY

Shadows may or may not be
Patterns of urbanity.
If a shadow threatens you,
Here, my dear, is what to do:
Grab the shadow by the throat,
Toss it to a billy goat,
So the goat can chomp and chew,
Keeping it away from you!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Sinister, Shadowy Spyhole

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

No, we think that it is pretty funny! My son has a little friend that won't breath when he goes by cemetaries...one time we went by one that was very l..o...n..g! I thought he'd pass out! Guess I'd rather turn around when I rise up that hold my breath when I go by a cemetary!!

xinex said...

Fabulous shot, Vicky!...Christine